Skip to content
Departments & Services >> Public Works >> > >> Frequently Asked Questions >> Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

INSTRUCTIONS: Change the folder ID below to match the sub-folder you wish to use as sub-pages/sub-navigation. DO NOT USE THIS WITH THE "Generic Single-Column" TEMPLATE.


INSTRUCTIONS: The question/title is just text changed to an H1 (Header 1). Then add in a (1) bullet to create the "drop down" panel that will stay hidden until the user clicks on the question/title.

Where can I get a new recycling container? 

  • The Town of Stratford is no longer selling recycle bins. You may purchase them at Home Depot.

What can be recycled? 

  • You can recycle unbroken glass bottles, any plastic container with a number 1 through 7 stamped on the bottom no larger than 3 gallon (not plastic bags or black plastic containers), empty food and beverage cans and all paper (including newspapers, junk mail, magazine, etc) and cardboard.  Everything can be placed together in either recycling container or clearly marked 32 gallon garbage can.

Is cardboard recyclable? 

  • Cardboard can be recycled on the same day as your recycling if it is flattened and placed next to your recycling container. Cardboard can also be recycled at the Transfer Station, Monday through Friday, 7:00am-3:00pm and Saturday, 8:00am-12:00pm.

When is my recycling and yard waste collected? 

  • Your recyclable materials are collected every two weeks on the same day as your garbage. Your yard waste is collected every two weeks from April through mid-December on the day after your recycling collection. 

What container do I use for my yard waste? 

  • Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, etc.) must be contained loose in your garbage cans or in paper yard waste bags. Small branches will be collected if they are cut to less than 4’ long and tied in bundles. 

What happens to my garbage pickup on a holiday week? 

  • On these holidays you will have no interruption in collection: Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Columbus Day and Veteran’s Day. On these holidays, all your collections will be one day late: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. However, the Transfer Station is closed on ALL holidays. 

What size container do I need to put my trash in? 

  • Garbage must be contained in standard 32-gallon cans with handles, or in plastic garbage bags with ties. Refuse contained in 45-gallon cans will not be collected. 

How do I dispose of old paint? 

  • If it is latex paint, you must harden it and then you can intermingle it with your garbage. You can harden it by leaving off the lid so that any liquid will evaporate, or you can purchase hardener at a home supply store if you would like it to harden more quickly. Return the lid to the can and dispose with your regular household garbage. 

    If it is oil-based paint, do not put it in the garbage. Oil-based paint is hazardous and must be disposed of in the same manner as other household hazardous waste. 

How do I dispose of household hazardous waste, such as oil-base paint, paint thinner, gasoline, etc.? 

  • Safely store these materials until the Town schedules another hazardous waste pickup day.

Where can I dispose of electronic equipment, such as computers and monitors? 

  • These items can be brought to the Transfer Station on Watson Blvd., which is open from 7am to 3pm, Monday through Friday and from 8am to noon on Saturdays. 

Where can I dispose of old tires? 

  • Residents can bring up to four old tires to the Transfer Station on Watson Boulevard. 

Where can I bring large items or other trash that I need to get rid of? 

  • You may dispose of items at the Transfer Station, which is located on Watson Blvd., off of Lordship Blvd. (behind the Ramada Inn). They are open from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 8:00 a.m. until noon on Saturdays. Residents must show proof of residency and may deposit up to 250 pounds per month, free of charge. If you have more than 250 pounds, you will be charged a fee of $95.00 per ton. Also accepted at the Transfer Station is recyclable materials and yard waste, such as branches and grass clippings. The Transfer Station is closed on all holidays.  

Will the Town pickup my bulk items? 

  • You can make an appointment with the Town for the collection of certain bulky items by calling 203-385-4080. This program typically runs from May through September and restrictions apply. Use this link for more information: Bulk Item Collection.

Is the Department of Public Works responsible for my water service? 

  • No, The Aquarion Company is responsible for your water service in Stratford. 

Where should I report street lights that are not working? 

  • Contact the United Illuminating Company at 1-800-722-4599. 

When will my street be swept? 

  • All streets are swept a minimum of once yearly during the period from April to October. 

How do I report a pothole, missing sign, or request other service?

Is there a parking ban in effect when it snows? 

  • Alternate side of the street parking regulations are automatically in effect during any period of ice or snow accumulation. The municipal ordinance prohibits any person who has access to a driveway from parking on the adjoining public street during a snow or ice emergency. Parking is permitted on the odd-numbered side of the street from 8:00 a.m. on the odd-numbered day of the week until 8:00 a.m. on the following morning. Likewise, parking is permitted on the even-numbered side of the street from 8:00 a.m. on the even-numbered day until 8:00 a.m. the following morning. 

How soon do I need to shovel my sidewalk? 

  • Per Town ordinance, property owners are responsible for removing snow and ice from the sidewalk along their property line within 24 hours after the storm and keeping the sidewalks clear of snow and ice.

How and where should I report a sewer backup? 

  • If a Town resident or building owner has a sewer backup problem, he/she should call the Water Pollution Control Division at 203-385-4065 at any time, 24 hours a day including weekends and holidays. Should the operator on duty not pickup; your call will be forwarded to an answering service. It is the responsibility of the answering service to notify an employee of the Water Pollution Control Division with your message. Someone will return your call. Residents should state that they are reporting a sewer emergency. Backed up sewer lines, and overflowing manholes are considered an emergency.

INSTRUCTIONS: Change the content ID below to match the "Contact Us" page you wish to reference in the "sidebar". If you do not want a contact sidebar, choose the "Single Column" template instead of this one.

Contact Us

Public Works
550 Patterson Avenue
Stratford, CT 06614


Transfer Station
Watson Blvd.

Stratford, CT 06615


Hours: M- F: 7:00AM - 3:00PM


Phone: (203) 385-4080

Parks Division: (203) 385-4085
Fax: (203) 385-4082 Fax: (203) 385-4082
Email: Public Works
Email: Building Maintenance


Raynae Serra

Director of Public Works

[email protected]