Water Pollution Control
(Front of The W.P.C. Building on Beacon Point Rd.)
The Town's Water Pollution Control Facility is located at the east end of Birdseye Street, adjacent to the Town's Boat Launching Ramp. The facility is manned and operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Presently the facility is designed to process 11.5 million gallons of sewage per day to parameters established by the EPA. In 1996 the Facility was given an award for "Best Operation and Maintenance Excellence in Region I". The original Facility dates back to 1919. Since 1919 the Facility has received several upgrades and has just completed a major upgrade.
Listing files in 'Water Pollution Control'
W.P.C. responds to or is responsible for the following:
How and where should I report a sewer backup?
- Monitoring all sewage discharged into the sewers for illegal or excessive discharges.
- Billing of Commercial and Industrial sewer users.
- Operation and maintenance of the 13 Sanitary and 3 Storm Water Pumping Stations located off the site.
- Maintaining of approximately 400 miles of Sanitary and Storm Sewers, including clearing of all blockages.
- Subsurface cleaning of approximately 5000 storm water catch basins.
- Replacement of missing manhole and catch basin covers
- It is requested that the residents clean the surface of catch basins due to the shear number of basins involved.
- Septic waste is accepted from Stratford residents Monday thru Saturday 8:00AM to 4:00PM, this includes waste from recreational vehicles.
- For our fiscal year 2023, the residential sewer user charge is $484.00 per year per unit. Questions on Residential billing are handled by the Town's Tax Collector at 203-385-4030. Questions on Commercial or Industrial billing are handled by the WPC at 203-385-4065.
If a Town resident or building owner has a sewer backup problem, he/she should call the Water Pollution Control Division at 203-385-4065 at any time, 24 hours a day including weekends and holidays. Should the operator on duty not pickup; your call will be forwarded to an answering service. It is the responsibility of the answering service to notify an employee of the Water Pollution Control Division with your message. Someone will return your call. Residents should state that they are reporting a sewer emergency. Backed up sewer lines, and overflowing manholes are considered an emergency.
550 Patterson Avenue
Stratford, CT 06614
Phone: (203) 385-4080
Fax: (203) 385-4082
Hours: Monday - Friday
7:00 am to 3:00 pm