The Shakespeare Property
The Shakespeare Property Community Visioning
The historic Shakespeare Theater in Stratford was burned to the ground on January 13, 2019. Mayor Laura Hoydick appointed a task force of 11 residents to host community conversations on residents’ vision for redeveloping this property.
Formation of the Shakespeare Property Subcommittee and Mandate
Upon completion of the work of the Task Force and driven by their findings (Shakespeare Property Task Force Final Report.), Mayor Hoydick appointed a subcommittee charged with providing research to the Stratford Redevelopment Agency (RDA) in consideration of potential projects at the former Shakespeare Theatre site. These research findings have been subdivided into five categories:
- Open Space/Park Projects
- Outdoor Performance Venues
- Small Capacity Multi-use Facilities (under 300 seats)
- Large Capacity Multi-use Facilities (300+ seats)
- Combination Projects
Shakespeare Property Subcommittee Members
Greg Reilly, Chairman
Shakespeare Property Subcommittee Research Findings
Shakespeare Property Task Force
Established by Mayor Laura R. Hoydick, January 2019. Members appointed by the Mayor.
The Task Force will work with Mary Dean, Director of Economic and Community Development, and it will be managed by the Stratford Redevelopment Agency (RDA). The Task Force will conduct community outreach and host a series of community conversations to listen to residents’ ideas and to identify what residents would like to see for the future public use of the Shakespeare property. The work of the Task Force will provide the Administration and Town Council with the public input necessary to make an informed decision.
Others involved in the planning process:
- Mary Dean, Director of Economic Development, Town of Stratford. Contact: [email protected]
- Karen Sportini, Supervisor of Economic Development, Town of Stratford. Contact: [email protected]
- Susmitha Attota, Town Planner, Town of Stratford. Contact: [email protected]
- Patrick Carleton, Deputy Director, Connecticut Metropolitan Council of Governments. Consulting Planner for this project. Contact: [email protected]
The Shakespeare Property Task Force conducted several meetings and workshops on the reuse of the Shakespeare Property from February 2019 to date. The timeline of meetings and workshops held so far is as follows:
Task Force Meetings:
- Public Meeting held at Town Hall Council Chambers on Feb 5, 2019 from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm.
- Organizational Meeting held at Town Hall Council Chambers on Feb 13, 2019 from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm.
- Task Force Meeting held at Birdseye Municipal Complex on March 18, 2019 from 6:00pm - 8:00 pm.
- Shakespeare Property Task Force Organizational Meeting, June 25 held at Stratford Town Hall.
Analysis of Community Feedback from Public Workshops and Online Survey
|Click any photo below to enlarge.
- Public Workshop for all Residents held at Birdseye Municipal Complex on April 1, 2019 from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm.
- Workshop for Stratford Seniors held at Baldwin Center on April 10, 2019 from 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm.
- Workshop for Stratford Business and Arts Communities held at CT Distributors, Inc. on April 23, 2019 from 7:30 am - 9:30 am.
- Public Workshop for all Residents held at Boothe Memorial Park on April 24, 2019 from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
- Workshop for Stratford High School Arts Students held at Town Hall Council Chambers on April 25, 2019 from 8:45 am- 10:45 am.
PowerPoint Shared at all Workshops: Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Online Public Survey Link:
For those residents who were unable to attend the public workshops, please click on the following link to take the survey:
This link is now closed. It was open from April 1, 2019 until Friday, May 3, 2019.
Any resident who wishes to be kept up-to-date on all information relative to what the town is doing concerning the property, should send their name, email address and phone number to [email protected] to be added to the distribution list for news and announcements.
Analysis of Results of Public Engagement Process
Shakespeare Property Task Force Meeting for Public Comments on the Analysis of Results of Workshops and Online Survey on Tuesday July 9 from 7 pm- 9pm.